About the VRC
Located in the Department of Art, the Visual Resources Center holds an extensive collection of 40,000 digital images and 50,000 slides, encompassing painting, sculpture, architecture, and photography across a broad range of cultures, styles, and time periods. Holdings also include over 500 DVDs and videos.
The center supports UWG Department of Art faculty and those students enrolled in Art classes.
Images for Educational Use: The following list contains resources for locating public domain and copyrighted images that are available for educational non-for-profit use. Before using any images, make sure to review attribution requirements and all other written terms of the author, photographer, and/or website owner.
- ARTstor A digital library of 700,000 images available to UWG faculty and students through Ingram Library. Coverage: Broad.
- CAMIO (Catalog of Art Museum Images Online) High quality images from museums around the world, available to UWG faculty and students through Ingram Library. Coverage: Broad.
- Google Art Project A growing collection of high resolution images from museum collections around the world. Coverage: broad.
- Creative Commons Search Simultaneously searches a variety of services offering images licensed for educational use. Coverage: Broad.
- World Images California State University. Coverage: Broad. Strengths: Architecture, archeology, sculpture.
- Web Gallery of Art Coverage: Painting and sculpture from eleventh to mid-nineteenth centuries.
- Library of Congress, American Memory Collection of historical images, architecture, maps, etc., from major archives in the United States.