EPIC ENGLISH 1101
Essay 2: Critique Guidelines
Length: 3 pages minimum (1000-1200 words)
The writer will demonstrate the ability to accurately summarize, critique, and evaluate a source text. Specifically, the critique paper asks a writer to make an informed value judgment in which she/he deems a source text effective or ineffective, persuasive or unpersuasive, via established criteria and standards, such as rhetorical appeals (i.e., ethos, pathos, and logos), argumentation principles (e.g., logical fallacies, claims, evidence, and analysis), and writing conventions (e.g., organization and style), among others.
- The writer will demonstrate aptitude at summarizing the words, ideas, and rhetorical and compositional choices of others in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
- The writer will demonstrate aptitude at critiquing, or otherwise making an argumentative assessment about, the words, ideas, and rhetorical and compositional choices of others with reference to and explanation of specific textual evidence.
- The writer will demonstrate an understanding of grammatical and stylistic conventions in writing through use of standard grammar, varied syntax, context-appropriate tone, and otherwise readable prose.
- The writer will demonstrate an understanding of the organizational conventions that characterize academic writing through the inclusion of identifiable introduction and conclusion paragraphs, as well as content paragraphs containing clear claims, evidence, and explanation/analysis.
- The writer will demonstrate an awareness of manuscript, citation, and documentation conventions in academic and professional writing through accurate adherence to MLA style guidelines.