The University of West Georgia is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). 

The Ed.D. is not accredited through CACREP as we do not aim to train counselor educators. Our mission is to train those currently in the counseling profession to be professional counselors that are able to evaluate programs, supervise and manage current counselors.

No. An Ed.S. is not required, but will require an extra year of coursework in order to complete the requirements. You can find more information about the plan of study on the courses page.

Yes. The doctoral coursework is based on the assumption that students will have completed advanced preparation in counseling and supervision and hold the status of “advanced” practitioner.

No, the Ed.D. in Professional Counseling and Supervision at University of West Georgia does not lead to professional licensure. Students must hold professional licensure or be license-eligible at admission. The Ed.D. in Professional Counseling and Supervision is not a clinical degree program, nor does it include supervised mental health practice courses.

 This program qualifies Georgia educators holding School Counseling certification for an in-field upgrade (see GaPSC Certificate Upgrade Advisor).

No. The requirements state that one must be licensed, certified to practice, or licensable. An associate license is considered a license. However, there is an additional requirement that one must have 3 years of counseling experience as well as the license or certificate. If you are licensable, it is up to the student to demonstrate how they are licensable in accordance with their state's licensing requirements.

We will consider a related field in psychology, clinical social work, mental health counseling, community counseling, marriage and family counseling or therapy, school psychology, school counselor, or school social worker. This is not an exhaustive list, but should provide students with an idea of what is considered "related." The degree and professional experience must meet the licensing requirements stated above.

No. The three years of experience must be met at the time of the application.

Yes. We require the GRE's to apply to this program. Additionally, the GRE scores cannot be older than five years. We do not accept any other standardized tests in place of the GRE.

This program is designed for working professionals who do not wish to suspend their career progress for 3-5 years. Many of the assignments, including those leading to the completion of a dissertation, are completed within the student’s work setting.

Graduates of this program are not endorsed for full time faculty positions. The coursework and instructional experiences are not designed to prepare one for the faculty role.

All courses are offered on-line through a Learning Management System that is supported 24-7.

Doctoral education, particularly the development of dissertations, is labor -intensive work. We only admit the maximum number of students we have resources to support.

Students develop a plan of study that will include required Ed.S. level courses the student may not have completed. Ed Specialist programs vary widely in content, so it is not unusual for students to need a course or two beyond those on the doctoral program plan of study.

All courses are delivered online. The only time you are required to be on campus is for the 2 1/2 day orientation prior to beginning the program.

Basic computer literacy, willingness to learn, and access to a computer and high-speed internet access is essential. If the computer does not have a built-in camera, one needs a camera and an integrated headset and microphone to participate in classes.

For those entering with an EdS in counseling, the program has been designed for 2 years of full time study. Full time study is two courses per term, continuous enrollment. Students entering the program without an EdS, it will take approximately 3 years of full time study.

For the most up-to-date and accurate cost information, visit the Office of Student Accounts and Billing Services website for updates on graduate tuition and fees.