How to Apply
Note: Before you apply, please review the list below of items that are required for admission to the Doctorate in Professional Counseling and Supervision degree.
Request official transcripts from all institution(s) you have attended, even if only for transfer credit (Must include both undergraduate and graduate). If a transcript is mailed to you, it cannot be treated as official if it has been opened. Please forward all required application materials in one packet to Graduate Admissions.
We do not accept any standardized tests except for the GRE, and the scores must be less than five years old. We cannot make any exceptions to this policy.
Guidelines for Admittance
All graduate applicants must complete the online Grad Application. A one-time application fee of $40 is required.
International applicants are subject to additional requirements and application deadlines. See Procedures for International Students.
Official transcripts from a regionally or nationally accredited institution are required and should be sent directly to the UWG Graduate Admissions Office.
Students who apply and are admitted without an Ed.S. will be required to take an extra year of courses. Please review the Courses tab for a detailed plan of study.
Program Specific Admittance Guidelines
In order to eligible to apply to the Ed.D. in Professional Counseling and Supervision, all of the following must be met:
- Licensed or license-eligible in counseling or related field
- Cumulative minimum graduate GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Official GRE scores not older than 5 years with preferred scores of
- Verbal 151
- Quantitative 142
- Writing 3.5
- Masters in counseling or related field
- (e.g., psychology, counseling psychology, clinical social work, mental health counseling, community counseling, professional counseling, marriage and family therapy, school psychology, school counseling, school social work)*
- *If the program was not CACREP accredited at the time of the applicant's graduation, the applicant must demonstrate that the program was substantially CACREP equivalent or the accrediting body that accredited the degree is equivalent to CACREP standards.
- Minimum of three years of post-masters counseling experience in private or public schools, community agency, university, hospital, or private practice
If all of the above are met, then the application requires the following:
- A 300-500 word essay presenting the applicant's professional goals and the relationship between those goals and the program mission
- Official transcripts from all schools attended for all degrees including schools attended only for transfer credit
- Three recommendations from professionals who are familiar with the applicant's professional qualities and academic potential. The electronic Recommendation Request form will be available after you submit your application
- Interview with faculty (after application file is complete).
Log -in to our Graduate Application Portal to check the status of your application.
When attempting to login, your ID Number will be your social security number, and your PIN is the last 2 digits of your birth year followed by the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you have forgotten your pin, please select 'Change Pin'.
Example: If your social security number is 123-45-6789 and birth year is 1990, then your login information will be:
ID = 123456789 Pin = 906789