Applications are currently being accepted for the Spring 2022 admit term.
Thank you for your interest in the University of West Georgia. Admission to the Doctor of Education in School Improvement Program is highly competitive. All applicants, including previous UWG students, must complete all steps of the application process as outlined below. Only completed applications received by the deadline August 15, 2021 at 5pm Eastern Time will be considered.
1. Online Application
- Complete the online application for graduate admissions. You must identify your Area of Concentration on the application. The online application requires a $40 non-refundable application fee. GRE scores must be sent from ETS and transcripts can be mailed to University of West Georgia, Graduate Admissions, Mandeville Hall, 1601 Maple Street, Carrollton, GA 30118. (Universities may also send e-scripts to firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Official GRE Scores
- Send official GRE scores (Verbal and Quantitative reasoning and Analytical Writing) to the University of West Georgia (be sure to use school code 5900, when taking the test). Scores must be no more than five years old. GRE test scores are valid for five years after the testing year in which you tested. The recommended minimum GRE scores are 151 Verbal Reasoning, 145 Quantitative Reasoning & 4.0 in Analytical Writing. Due to the high number of competitive applications received, applicants with scores below the recommended minimum are not often admitted.
3. Required application materials:
- Writing Sample: Submit previously written work (5-10 pages in length) that you feel demonstrates your writing abilities. Written work can include papers from graduate degree work or work reports.
- Three letters of Recommendation are required. At least one of the letters must be from a current or past supervisor.
- Vitae: A vitae listing education and employment history, experience with school improvement, and awards and recognitions. Provide your current and complete contact information, including an active email address.
- Official Transcripts: Request official transcripts from all institutions that you have attended, even if only for transfer credit (must include both undergraduate and graduate). Place the transcripts in an envelope in there original, sealed envelopes (it cannot be treated as official if it has been opened). All applicants must have earned a Master's degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution. A cumulative minimum graduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is required for all graduate course work.
- Essay: Complete a 750 - 1,000 word essay that discusses your professional goals related to school improvement. In your essay, include any literature (e.g., research article) that has informed your professional practice or otherwise influenced you. (Include appropriate APA citations.)
NOTE: International applicants must follow procedures and timelines of the UWG International Student Admissions and Programs Office.
4. Address for mailing (official, unopened) transcripts:
Application materials must be received by 5pm ET, August 15 for the spring session deadline and 5pm ET, January 15 for the summer session deadline.
University of West Georgia
Graduate Admissions, Mandeville Hall
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton, GA 30118