The Office of Teacher Certification processes all necessary paperwork for candidates who are applying for initial certification or adding additional fields to existing certification in Georgia, as well as processes applications for candidates who are applying for out-of-state educator positions.
Completion of required coursework for a degree or non-degree program leading to certification at UWG does not satisfy all requirements for licensure by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC). The following assessments are required for licensure:
Teaching Licensure Programs (Art Education, Elementary Education, Foreign Language Education, Music Education, Physical Education, Secondary Education, Special Education)
- Passing scores on GACE Content Assessment appropriate to field of study
- Passing scores on edTPA
- Passing scores on GACE Educator Ethics – Program Exit Assessment
Service Licensure Programs (Instructional Technology, Media Specialist, Reading Instruction, School Counseling, Speech-Language Pathology)
- Passing scores on GACE Content Assessment appropriate to field of study (Praxis II for Speech-Language Pathology)
Leadership Licensure Programs (Educational Leadership – Tier I and Tier II)
- Passing scores on GACE Content Assessment or Performance Assessment for School Leaders (PASL) as appropriate to program
- Passing scores on Georgia Ethics for Educational Leadership – Program Exit Assessment
Approximately 4 weeks prior to graduation/program completion, program candidates completing programs leading to certification will receive instructions for applying for certification via their UWG email accounts.
Candidates completing programs leading to certificate upgrades only should contact their employing school district for assistance with application for their certificate upgrade.
If you have questions regarding application for certification, please contact Kathy Jones, Certification Official, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 678-839-6109.