The COE Early Learning Center is committed to providing the best possible learning experiences for young children by meeting national standards of quality in the UWG preschool program. The Pre-K program is accredited by the National Association for the Education for Young Children (NAEYC). The teachers and staff work in partnership with the Early Learning Center’s research lab toward implementing evidence-informed practices in a laboratory school model.
The preschool program is for children who are residents of Georgia and are four years of age on or before September 1. Half of the program’s spots are reserved for UWG Faculty/Staff. The remainder are available to the community. The program is regulated under guidelines set by Bright from the Start , a division of the Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning. UWG Pre-K operates on a regular school system calendar for the length of a typical school day. A lottery system is used to form class rosters.
Why Choose the UWG Pre-K for your child?
The UWG Pre-K is accepting applications for the waitlist for 2021-22. At this time, all available spots are filled.
- Research-based curriculum: In addition to using the curriculum, Ready to Advance, the UWG Pre-K classrooms implement research-based interventions, guided by the Early Learning Center’s early childhood research lab.
- After-school care: UWG Continuing Education offers a program after school for families who benefit from an extended day.
- Social-emotional focus: The UWG Pre-K teachers understand the importance of building knowledge and skills for social and emotional growth and have received training in positive behavior intervention and student engagement programs.
- UWG faculty and students: Our expert faculty and undergraduate/graduate students are continuously involved in the preschool for improved programming and special events including research projects, speech/hearing screenings and work groups, family engagement programs, and more! Early childhood and special education faculty are on-site for supporting the program.
- Coming soon! Early Childhood Makerspace: Children learn by doing. In this student-led renovated space, preschoolers will have the opportunity to innovate and collaborate with coding equipment, building projects, and other research-based makerspace materials.
About the 2021-22 Pre-K School Year at the Early Learning Center:
- Families are invited to apply for the waitlist. All spots at the UWG Pre-K are full.
- A total of 44 spots were filled for children of both community members and UWG Faculty/Staff.
- The UWG Pre-K will operate a traditional (e.g., face-to-face) model. Current health and safety protocols are consistent with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and Bright from the Start. Additional health and safety measures that are recommended by the National Association for the Education of Young Children were also considered.