TAX FILING SEASON NOW IN PROGRESS | FILING DEADLINE EXTENDED: July 15, 2020
DUE TO COVID-19*
- for tax year Jan. 1 2019 - Dec. 31, 2019
- *I have gone home, can I E-File or do I still need to mail in my documents?
- There are limited E-File options for nonresidents overseas. Here is what Sprintax
- File Asap
- Use a registered delivery service. As you will be sending your documents from overseas.
- Keep your U.S. bank account open - by keeping your U.S. bank account open after you leave you can ensure you have a fast access to your tax refund after you file your return!
- There are limited E-File options for nonresidents overseas. Here is what Sprintax recommendations:
The tax workshop has passed! Follow these steps below.
1. Determine Which Tax Forms To Submit (If Required).
- If you arrived in the U.S. for the 1st time in 2020, RELAX - no forms to fill out this year.
- If you arrived in the U.S. in 2019, or you've been in the U.S. less than 5 years,
you are a Non-Resident for tax purposes.
Non-Resident, no U.S. income? Complete form 8843 only.
Non-Resident, with U.S. income? Complete form 8843 and a full tax return (1040NR-EZ)
- If you have been in the U.S. more than 5 years, you may be a Resident for tax purposes. Sprintax will let you know.
The chart below presents it in a visual way.
2. Protect Your Identity | Watch These Tax Scam Videos
Still not sure? Ask ISAP 1st!
- Let us know if you receive a suspicious text, email, voicemail or regular mail. NEVER give personal information: name, address, SSN#, email or phone#, etc... to an unknown person who contacts you.
3. Watch These Sprintax Preview Videos
- Turbo Tax, H & R Block and other popular tax prep products are for: US Citizens, Permanent Residents and Residents For Tax Purposes only.
- Sprintax is specially for Non-Residents, because non-resident forms are different. You could be charged a penalty if you submit the wrong forms.
4. Review Our F.A.Q. (10 Short Q/A's)
5. Gather Your Documents
- Your Passport & Visa Information
- I-20 or DS-2019
- W-2, from each employer the past year
- Form 1099, from your U.S. bank if you earned interest on your accounts
- Form 1042-S, if you received a taxable scholarship in the past year
6. Go To Sprintax
- Plan about 1 hour to complete the process.
- The FREE code to pay for Sprintax was emailed to your UWG email. If you don't have it, contact firstname.lastname@example.org / call: 678-839-5549.
- Sprintax can also file your State of Georgia Income Tax Return, if needed, for an additional $29.95 fee.
- Or, you can complete the free "Georgia 500 Individual Income Tax Return" form on your own.