Media Day 2021
The 40th annual Media Day will be postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are so sorry to have to plan this delay. We will schedule our next Media Day when we feel we can all gather safely. Check back in the fall for updates.
Careers & Connections: A Virtual Network Event
I hope your were able to attend our Careers & Connections: A Virtual Network Event to fulfull your networking needs. It was held in four sessions over two days, April 14 and 15.
Media Day visitors park for free in the new Campus Center parking lot, 302 West Georgia Drive in Google Maps. There will also be signs on campus to direct you. Attendants will be at the parking lot to provide a parking pass to display in your car.
- 9:00 Registration
- 9:30 Panel Discussion
- 10:45 Networking Sessions
- 12:30 Keynote Speaker & Honors Luncheon
- 2:30 Alumni Social at The Border
Students and Networking Professionals, stop by the registration table when you arrive to receive credentials and claim your ticket for the luncheon. You will need this ticket to enter the Honors Luncheon. Unclaimed tickets will be re-assigned.
This year’s panel discussion offers students the opportunity to hear professionals discuss the current state of their industries, describe their career paths and offer insightful tips for students entering those fields. It includes a Q&A component for students to ask direct questions of the panelists. Our panelists’ range of experience covers broadcast media, public relations, convergence journalism, film and video production, and social media.
These sessions are held in the sunlit atrium just outside the ballroom, and offer current Mass Communications students the opportunity to meet and speak directly with over 50 visiting media professionals, many of whom are UWG alumni. All Mass Communications areas of study will be represented in the roster of visiting professionals.
Dress for the Networking Sessions (and Honors Luncheon) is formal, Business Professional: Slacks and tie or slacks/skirt and blouse, with jackets or blazers recommended.
The sessions themselves are open and unscheduled, but students should prepare to spend 5 minutes (no more or less) speaking with any given professional, and plan to circulate.
This ticketed, free luncheon is highlighted by a keynote address by a graduate of The University of West Georgia, and winner of this year's Distinguished Alumni Award.
Student Honors, Awards and Recognitions will include:
- Academic Achievement Awards, presented to all junior and senior Mass Communications majors who have earned 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Professional Growth & Development Awards are presented to junior and senior Mass Communications majors and minors who have completed or are completing professional development experiences via internships, media-related work or practica with bluestone Student Public Relations Firm, The West Georgian, The WOLF Internet Radio and/or WUTV.
- Mass Communications Scholarship Recipients including the Dora Byron Memorial Scholarship, the Margaret Gauthier Scholarship, The David S. Parkman III Scholarship, the Frances Parkman Scholarship and the George Fields Whatley Scholarship, and the Gordon Watson Award in Mass Communications.
You are invited to mix and mingle with Mass Communications Alumni at this off-campus social event at The Border.
We hope you can join us for any and all of the day's events!