English Second Language (ESL)
Below are different resources curated for ESL students.
- Writing Resources:
- The UWC's Writing Resources
- Purdue OWL's ESL Student Resources
- ELL/ESL Resources from SUNY Empire State College
- English as a Second Language Resources from Reed College
- Paradigm Online: explanations and activities to illustrate and practice the writing process and writing informal and formal essays
- Using English for Academic Purposes: explains conventions of academic writing including expectations in word choice, documentation, and organization for various disciplines
- Grammar Resources:
- Vocabulary Resources:
- Visual Dictionary Online
- Visuwords: interactive visual dictionary showing the relationships between words, their definitions and other related words.
- American Idioms: the website also contains grammar and vocabulary resources
- The Academic Word List (AWL): based on the 3,000 most often used academic words in English.
- Quizlet: customizable vocabulary and other study flashcards.
- Language Resources:
- Audio Resources:
- Lingual.net: collection of video clips from television and movies with transcripts.
- English Listening Resources: listening passages arranged by topic, purpose, and level.
- National Public Radio: listen to daily news and commentary.
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab: a large collection of digitized audio cuts organized by levels.
- Science Friday: weekly radio show on technical topics.
- Voice of America: listen to international news in English and many other languages.
- Listen and Read Along: specialized English broadcast radio programs that are easy to follow and enjoy.
The University Writing Center also provides currently-enrolled UWG English Second Language (ESL) students with the ability to schedule 1-hour tutoring sessions upon request. (This is an optional length of time. The student or consultant may decide that 30 minutes is more appropriate.)