Director of Athletics - Position Description
The Director of Athletics at the University of West Georgia provides leadership to and oversight of the university’s Division II intercollegiate athletic programs and reports directly to the University President. This position is responsible for providing executive leadership, exceptional operational management, strategic direction and oversight of the pursuit of excellence by more than 350 student-athletes in 13 varsity sports, including a nationally recognized and award-winning Cheer program. UWG Athletics competes as a member of the Gulf South Conference.
The Athletic Director is also charged with managing the department’s fiscal affairs, personnel, strategic planning (reflecting the strategic plan of the university at large), facilities, general operations and public relations (integrating with UWG’s University Communications and Marketing).
The Director of Athletics is charged with ensuring compliance with all Federal, State, NCAA, conference, and university regulations, creating and managing departmental resources in a fiscally responsible manner, and sustaining a culture of excellence, learning, sportsmanship, professionalism, and respect at all levels. This position engages collaboratively with campus leadership, administrative offices, and the communities to which the university is in service as appropriate on matters relating to athletic administration; student-athlete recruitment, well-being and retention; resource development and management; and publicity, communications, and media.
The responsibilities of the Director of Athletics shall include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Provides leadership, administrative direction, and oversight for all athletic programs and activities.
- Adheres to and promotes a culture of ethics, sportsmanship, professionalism, and respect through personal example and behavior.
- Coordinates the development of long-term strategies and resource planning for UWG Athletics.
- Leads athletics’ stakeholder cultivation and management, within and external to the university, in coordination with University Advancement.
- Supervises full and part-time Athletics staff, including responsibilities for hiring, separation, training, mentoring, and evaluation of coaches and staff.
- Provides equality of opportunity in men’s and women’s athletics, maintains program compliance with regulatory requirements, and coordinates the certification of academic and health eligibility for varsity athletes.
- Ensures optimal integration and marketing of athletic programs among students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the community by coordinating activities and developing strategies in consultation with other marketing, communications, and publicity operations of the university.
- Participates in and helps strategize opportunities for resource development in compliance with university procedures, and in cooperation with University Advancement and Business and Financial Services.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the President of the University of West Georgia.
Baccalaureate degree required, advanced degree preferred, in addition to a minimum of five years of experience as a senior-level athletic administrator.
The candidate must demonstrate an understanding of university culture, and understanding of the role of athletics in promoting excellence within a research university, a commitment to development of scholar-athletes, and a demonstrated ability to lead a competitive intercollegiate sports program in the context of an academically rigorous environment.
Nominations and/or Applications
The University of West Georgia invites letters of nomination, applications, or expressions of interest to be submitted to our consultant, Collegiate Consulting. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
To make a nomination or to apply, interested parties will send a letter of interest, resume, and names and contact information for at least three references to the following:
Russel Wright, Managing Director
The University of West Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.