The University of West Georgia is committed to ensuring that pregnant and parenting students and employees have access to the resources that they need and that their rights are protected (See full procedure: UWG PL 4002, Pregnant and Parenting)
Rights of Pregnant and Parenting Students and Employees
Pregnant and parenting students and employees are entitled to reasonable accommodations for as long as their doctor deems medically necessary. Each situation is unique, and reasonable accommodations will highly depend on an individual's course and/or work environment requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Granting incomplete grades for courses to be completed at a later date
- Modifications of the physical environment, such as accessible seating or providing temporary elevator access
- Mobility support
- Allowing more frequent trips to the restroom, or breaks for water
- Extending deadlines and/or allowing a student to make up tests or assignments
- Providing temporary disability parking permits
- Providing remote learning opportunities
- Excusing medically-necessary absences
- Granting reasonable time and private space to pump breastmilk
Note: Lactation spaces are available in Ingram Library, 3rd floor (room 312), Biology Building (room 152), Roy Richards Sr Hall (room 206), and UWG Newnan (multiple spaces available: contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 678-839-2300).
- Providing larger uniforms for athletics or on-campus jobs
- Allowing course drops, medical underloads, medical leaves of absence, or medical withdrawals
- Granting requests from pregnant or nursing students to protect the health and/or safety of the student, pregnancy, or infant (i.e., allowing the student to maintain a safe distance from hazardous substances)
Where Should I Start?
If you are a student and need assistance with pregnant/parenting accommodations or have questions about your rights and options under Title IX, contact the Title IX Coordinator & Equal Opportunity Officer:
Ph: (678) 839-4977
If you are an employee in need of an accommodation, contact Office of Human Resources, Campus Relations:
Ph: (678) 839-5194