The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain the University of West Georgia's top priority. Campus leaders, including health experts, emergency management personnel and others, are closely monitoring the evolving Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak and the potential effects to campus including University Recreation. All updates and university communication can be found on the UWG COVID-19 website.
In accordance with the University of West Georgia's Coronavirus (COVID-19) response, All Campus Center and University Recreation operations, events, and programming that was originally planned to occur has now been suspended through May 7, 2020. This includes all event reservations that were to be held during this time.
Be on the lookout for each area to reach out directly in regards to how refunds will be handled during this time. UREC will make known any updates as information becomes available.
University Recreation is not only dedicated to providing updated information, but also maximizing this opportunity to provide virtual ways/resources to stay engaged while adhering to all Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Georgia Department of Health, and the University System of Georgia guidelines. Check out the following area resources and programming updates.
- Fitness & Wellness Jump to content
- Sport Offerings Jump to content
- Games & eSports Resources Jump to content
- West Georgia Outdoors Jump to content
- Miscellaneous Resources Jump to content
Fitness & Wellness
Group Fitness Classes
All in-person classes have been suspended. More information will be available on potential online formats soon.
- All personal training has been suspended. Clients will be contacted directly by their trainer with instructions/options about refunds.
- Cycling Under the Stars event has been canceled
- FitWell Senior Send-Off event has been canceled
- Les Mills Free At-Home Workouts: This platform is free to you during this time. It has workout options across eight different categories that are ready to play now. No subscription is required at this time, as all the videos are free! The workouts will remain open and available as long as the Cornovirus (COVID-19) situation continues.
- DownDog Yoga App: This app is offering free access until July 1 for all students and teachers (K-12 and college) due to many school closures taking place. To access the free school membership, please sign up with your .edu email address.
- ACE Exercise Library: Whether you're a beginning exerciser who needs help getting started or someone who wants to add some spice to your fitness routine, this library offers a variety of movements to choose from. Browse through total-body exercises or movements that target more specific areas of the body. Each comes with a detailed description and photos to help ensure proper form.
- Run the Edge: Un-Canceled Project: Throughout the month of April, Run the Edge will be offering 4 weeks of FREE virtual races (5k, 10k, 13.1, 26.2). You can either sync with Garmin, Fitbit, Apple or Strava, or enter your miles manually on the honor system. There are no times, no winners, no losers, just complete the distance and earn the un-canceled bibs.
- Nike Training Club: To help encourage that further, programming from NTC Premium a subscription-based service available in the U.S. that includes studio-style streaming workouts, progressive training programs (including bodyweight-only) and expert tips from our elite Nike Master Trainers, is now accessible at no charge. Beginning March 23, Nike’s social handles, nike.com and the Nike App will also offer new tips on mindset, movement, nutrition, recovery and sleep.
- Fitness Blender: They believe fitness should be accessible to everyone, everywhere, regardless of income or access to a gym. With hundreds of professional workouts, healthy recipes and informative articles, as well as one of the most positive communities on the web, you’ll have everything you need to reach your personal fitness goals – for free!
- Yoga With Adriene: Yoga with Adriene provides high quality practices on yoga and mindfulness at no cost to inspire people of all ages, shapes and sizes across the globe.
For more information, contact Drew Powell at email@example.com.
Students can still submit the embedded form to join a team but there will be no in-person tryouts or practices during this time.
- Softball league has been canceled. Participants will be contacted directly about information regarding refunds.
- Sand Volleyball league has been canceled. Participants will be contacted directly about information regarding refunds.
- Alpha Pack Ultimate Frisbee tournament has been canceled.
- Alpha of the Game Room tournament has been canceled with the potential of an adaptation virtually.
- Alpha Pack 4v4 Flag Football tournament has been canceled.
How Do U REC? Bracket Challenge
We celebrated March Madness with a UREC twist on our Instagram where participants voted for their favorite recreation activities each day through story polls. The How Do U Rec? bracket championship activity was Group Fitness Classes. Thank you to all who participated and voted. Be on the lookout for future social media competitions.
Competitive Sports region:
Basketball league won this category
West Georgia Outdoors region
Climbing Wall won this category
Fitness & Wellness region
- Group Fitness Classes won this category
- Game Room won this category
National Collegiate Trivia Night: Quarantine Quiz Show
Are you looking for an easy way to virtually program during this unusual time? What started as a talk of how to engage students on our respective campuses, has evolved into a collaborative effort by universities across the country to host a National Collegiate Trivia Night. Join us on Wednesday, April 1 at 8 p.mm EST for the first night of the Quarantine Quiz Show hosted by NIRSA's very own Scott Flickinger!
Who can participate: Any student, faculty, or staff member from schools across the country
When: Every Wednesday in April beginning Wednesday, April 1 at 8 p.m. EST
Where: Streaming live on the RecWithoutBorders Twitch Channel
Prizes: Swag prizes to the top 5 finishers, and random drawings throughout the event
Step-by-step instructions to be coming soon.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Games & eSports Resources
West Georgia Outdoors
All trips have been suspended during this time. Trip participants will be contacted directly regarding information about refunds.
All climbing activities and events have been suspended during this time.
There will be no rentals available during this time.
Virtual Outdoor Resources
- National Park Tours: This article provides several links to virtual tours of national parks.
- NOLS Official YouTube Channel: The National Outdoor Leadership School's YouTube channel is filled with a variety of outdoor skills and wilderness medicine how to's and instructional videos.
- AMGA Official YouTube Channel: The American Mountain Guides Association's YouTube channel is filled with a variety of rock climbing instructional videos.
- A Simpler Way: Crisis as Opportunity (2016) Documentary: This is a free-to-view, feature-length documentary that follows a community in Australia who have come together to explore and demonstrate a simpler way to live in response to global crises. Throughout the year, the group builds tiny houses, plant veggie gardens, practices simple living and permaculture principles, and discovers the challenges of living in community. This documentary was shot while organization was living on the property for the entire year as part of the community. The documentary includes interviews with David Holmgren, Helena Norberg-Hodge, Nicole Foss, Ted Trainer, Graham Turner, and more. View the A Simpler Way trailer on YouTube.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Stay tuned for more programming opportunities and information. For questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.