General information about the types of status possible for non-citizen employees is provided below. Also provided is general information which should be kept in mind during recruitment and when considering requesting a change of visa status for an employee.

Employees wishing to apply for a new status may choose to use the services of an attorney. While this is perfectly acceptable, employees should be advised that the IAP 66 form is necessary to obtain J 1 status and can only be completed by the institution. Also, applications for Alien Employment Certification must be approved by Human Resources.

Types of Status:

F 1 (Practical Training) - This is a 12 month temporary employment authorization period for practical training after completion of studies. This status is initiated through the foreign student advisor at the student’s degree granting institution. An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) after receiving a recommendation from the foreign student advisor.

F 1 (Postdoctoral Student) - This is an extension (upon completion of a Ph.D.) of the student status. The person must be pursuing an education objective that requires a combination of course work and research. The research must be on campus, while school is in session, and is restricted to no more than 20 hours per week.

J 1 (Exchange Visitor) - Available for students and visiting scholars. It is often difficult to change from this status to another due to the possibility of a two year home country residence requirement.

J 1 (Practical Training) - This is an 18 month temporary employment authorization period for practical training after completing a degree. The application for practical training is submitted to the Human Resources Office.

H 1B (Temporary Worker) - This is for specialty occupations. This status requires an approved labor condition application from the U. S. Department of Labor plus extensive documentation of the applicant’s credentials. Status may be granted for an initial period not to exceed three years. Extensions may be obtained; however, total H-1B time may not exceed six years.