Hiring Resources and Information

International Students are eligible to work while they study at UWG! Hiring an international student is as easy as hiring a domestic student. We have more information on the hiring of international students below.

International students, in most cases, are only eligible to work on campus. They can work as student assistants, research assistants, graduate research, or teaching assistants. Below are some points to remember about hiring an international student: 

  • They are eligible to work only on campus without prior authorization from the Department of Homeland Security. 
  • International students are NOT eligible for Federal Work Study (FWSP) positions, as they do not fill out the FASFA. 
  • There is not a bunch of extra paperwork. The only paperwork that may be different is a job offer letter they will need to apply for a social security number. A template is provided on the right side for you to fill out. Please print on department letterhead and give to the student. 
  • If the student needs transportation to the Social Security Office, have them contact the ISAP office and we will take them! 
  • International students CAN begin working before they get their social security cards. They just have to have applied through the SSA office and taken the letter they get when they apply to UWG HR. 
  • The hour restrictions are the same as domestic students. 20 hours during Fall and Spring Semesters and 40 hours during summer or on class breaks (Spring Break, Winter Break, etc.)
  • International students do not have to be enrolled in classes during the summer semester to work on campus, unless this is their first or last semester. 

Most international students you will interact with at UWG are on a J-1 or F-1 visa. Students will know which type of visa they have obtained to study in the United States. It is not illegal to ask what type of visa the student is on while studying at UWG!

  • F-1 Visa Students: students are here to obtain a degree from the University of West Georgia
  • J-1 Exchange Students: students are at UWG for a semester or year to study as part of their program back in their home country

There are a few other visa types you may encounter when interviewing an international student. Feel free to call the International Student Admissions & Programs Office to ensure their work eligibility.

International students cannot get a social security card unless they begin working. They can begin work before they receive their social security card, after they have applied for the number. In order for the student to obtain a social security card, they will need a job offer letter from you. You can find a fillable PDF of this document on this page! Just fill in the blanks and print the paper on your department’s letterhead for the student.

IMPORTANT: Print the employment letter on your department's letterhead! 

After you write the letter, the student should bring the letter by our office for us to sign as well indicating that they are eligible with their visa. 

If the international student already has a social security card from previous employment, there is no need to write the letter. However, the student does still need to come by our office to ensure we have their employment documented correctly. 

Example Employment Letter (PDF, 932K)

Employment Verification Letter (PDF, 23K)

  • Up to 20 hours per week maximum while classes are in session
  • Up to 40 hours per week during the summer session and during class breaks (spring break, fall break, thanksgiving, etc.)

Please note that it is a federal violation to allow international students to work more than 20 hours while classes are in session. 

  • Cross-cultural competencies
  • New perspectives and set of skills
  • Multi-Lingual
  • Maturity and ability to adapt to challenges
  • Can assist international students/prospects in your program with requirements to study in the USA!
  • Teach your department about a new culture!
  • Spring 2021 workshop: Feb. 23rd 1:00-2:00pm 
  • Fall 2021 workshop: To Be Announced
  • Email rashikaw@westga.edu with your full name and department to sign-up!

Frequently Asked Questions

YES! Most visa types allow the student to hold employment on campus.

NO! The only thing you may have to do is provide an employment letter to the student so they can get a social security number (if they don't already have one). However, we have a fillable PDF version on this page to make it easy. Just fill in the blanks, sign and print on department letterhead.

International Student Employment Verification Letter (PDF, 23K)

YES! But these hour restrictions are identical to the hour restrictions of all Student Employees at UWG.

They can work 20 hours a week while classes are in session. While classes are out of session, and during the summer (regardless of class enrollment) they are free to work as many hours as you want them.

YES! All international students must provide proof of english proficiency before they are admitted to UWG.

Contact us! International Student Admissions and Programs!

Location: Mandeville Hall, 1st FloorPhone:  (678) 839-4780