- Techwest/Student Information Technology Services provides a free service to currently enrolled UWG students to help find solutions to their problems with personal computers.
- Techwest operates under the supervision of Information Technology Services (ITS). It is managed by Graduate Assistants and a group of Student Assistants with an adequate background of computer skills and knowledge.
*The limitations and the requirements of services are listed below:
Techwest staff will attempt to give first assessment in one business day from when the student dropped his/her system to the Techwest center. The response time may be longer because of vacant positions, financial constraints or due to the huge demand specifically during the first weeks of the Fall and Spring semesters.
The resolution time is the time it takes to solve a problem. The resolution time is different for each situation and cannot be determined until the appropriate support professional has evaluated the problem and is able to determine an approximate resolution time.
The organization and arrangement will be based on the time that the computers will be taken to Techwest. "First in-First out (FIFO)" concept will be carried out during all resolutions.
Unlike priority levels, severity levels are a more objective and absolute way to classify the impact of an issue. Severity should be based on the overall level of impedance that the student is experiencing. Some severity level problems resolution, such as critical, may take more time or more technical skill level than others which may constitute a change of the priority level.
Severity Level Definition Examples:
- Critical: Student cannot get a response from the computer. Hard drive failure, operating system failure or other serious hardware problems.
- High: Student cannot conduct his/her daily duties with the computer. Possible drive problems or complete application failure.
- Medium: Problem does not prevent the Student from doing his/her daily duties; however, the problem has existed for some time. Word processing or browser application errors.
- Low: Student needs information only. Some hints about computers, or some information about hardware/software updates, or anti-virus software.
- Techwest has a goal of resolving routine problems within 24 hours. The first level response will be the student assistant on duty. If he/she cannot solve the problem during his/her scheduled work hours, the incident will be handled by the next scheduled student assistant. When Techwest is unable to resolve technical problems, it will be transferred to ITS staff. Problem resolution may vary depending on ITS staff's availability and their priority of daily duties.
- Any assessment that requires replacement parts or hardware will not be released without the approval of an ITS staff.
- Techwest provides this service only for currently enrolled UWG students. Techwest will make every reasonable effort to meet the needs of the Student in providing services outlined in the service agreement. However, Techwest will NOT be held responsible for investigating or resolving problems not defined in this agreement. The Student will be notified in person, by phone or by electronic mail within one business day if any request cannot be honored under the limitations of this agreement.
- The Student is responsible for contacting Techwest and providing technical details of the computer and the problem. Techwest will work on any personal computer to help the Student. However, there may be some support limitations for Apple devices (MAC), laptop computer repairs, and other mobile devices.
- The student must be the owner of the hardware and software of the computer. The Student is required to sign the ownership of the computer, originality, and the authenticity of the software besides the ownership part.
- Any replacement parts or software costs are the responsibility of the Student. Techwest can give recommendations on replacement parts or software of prospective vendors upon request. Once the diagnosis has been made, the system will be returned to the owner to acquire the replacement parts/software. Once the student provides the necessary parts, Techwest will repair it at their first available time. Because of limited space and of other limitations and procedures, they cannot dispose or recycle malfunctioned parts and will be returned to the Student.
- Additionally, Techwest cannot be responsible for any data stored in the computer; student should have a backup for the data before bringing his/her computer to Techwest. Techwest will make every reasonable effort to keep the confidentiality and the integrity of the data. The Student is responsible to provide necessary user ID(s) and passwords and to reset it upon receiving the computer at the resolution of the incident.
- If Techwest fails to gain contact with a Student after multiple contact attempts (via phone and/or email), six months after they separate from the university, their device will be turned over to the University Surplus Department.