January 28 is Data Privacy Day
Often without realizing it, we work with and carry data with us throughout the work day and at home. We owe it to our students and fellow employees to protect that information from exposure.
Here are a few tips:
- Do not leave your computer screen unlocked when you are not at your desk, and don’t leave paper records exposed on your desk.
- Encrypt thumb drives and other portal media.
- Set a passcode on all of your mobile devices.
- Dispose of data securely when you no longer need it. Use a paper shredder, or Secure Delete for electronic data. Don’t forget to follow record retention rules, too.
- Keep your anti-virus software up to date.
- Understand the rules that govern the data that your department is responsible for protecting. Not all data can be shared freely, even between employees in the same department.
For more information visit: https://staysafeonline.org/data-privacy-day/about
ITS will be working closely with UCM to review and improve the accessibility of the
University of West Georgia's website. Great improvements to accessibility were made
with the launch of our new web design on June 22, 2016 with content migration for
over 30,000 web pages and 230 campus web sites completed as of January 10, 2017.
The next level goal is to reach the WCAG 2.0 Level AA Accessibility standard level of compliance. This is an international standard developed by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group (WCAG WG), which is part of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI). Compliance is required by Section 508 of the Worker Rehabilitation Act. In addition to being required by law this initiative falls in line with UWG's shared values of caring, collaboration, and inclusiveness.
ITS will be responsible for identifying the measures, tools, and processes to achieve compliance with each and every element of the standard. Some of these elements will be the responsibility of content owners to review and implement. Other elements will require ITS Web Innovations to provide web coding solutions.
We look forward to working with UCM to expand the reach and access of our web presence for our students, faculty, staff, and community.
Best of the West
The Best of the West award is UWG's peer-nominated award and recognition program. Best of the West is designed to allow colleges to nominate one another for recognition in the categories of Values, Strategic Imperatives, and Cross-Divisional Collaboration.
ITS Best of the West winners of the Cross Divisional Recognition Award for Fall, 2016 were:
4th Quarter - October - December 2016
- Chris Reece - Strategic Imperative Recognition
- Garth Wilson - Values Recognition
- Kyle Youngs - Cross Divisional Recognition
Question of the Month
Question: I have received an email from Self Service requesting me to go change my password by clicking on the link. Is this legitimate?
Answer: Yes. Your password is set to expire once a year. The following email is an example of the only email or reminder you will get from us:
Dear User, Your UWG ID password for account (First Name Last Name) will expire in 14 days. Please visit http://selfservice.westga.edu to change your UWG ID password as soon as possible. Thank you. Information Technology Services.
If you have further concerns, please contact the Service Desk at extension 678-839-6587.