Web Publishing for Students
Just as almost everyone here at UWG is provided with email, most everyone is also provided with webspace!
Please see the information below to determine your webspace details.
For Student Webpages
|UWG ID Username
|UWG ID Password
|Software Needed to Publish:
FileZilla and WinSCP(Windows only) or other SFTP Software. Adobe Dreamweaver is also compatible.
For FileZilla and WinSCP or other compatible SFTP clients, use one of the following settings (protocols):
Trouble Uploading Files?
- Make sure you have followed instructions carefully.
- There are computer labs on campus including the library with WinSCP software already installed and configured.
- If you believe your computer is having issues, you can bring it to the TechWest office to have it checked for hardware problems, viruses and spyware. TechWest
Things to Keep in Mind for Beginners
- Your home folder where your page will live is called "public_html" It contains a very plain file called "index.html" This is your website's main page. If you have deleted or removed or renamed this folder, your page will not function properly.
- "index.html" is your main landing page. It has to exist in your public_html folder. If you remove or rename it, your page will not function and you will get a 404 error when trying to view your website, If you are uploading a page titled anything else, ex: "testpage.html", you have to link "testpage.html" from your main landing page in the index.html file. Otherwise, no one will ever know your new page exists!
- If you have deleted or renamed index.html, you will see an error when you attempt to view https://stu.westga.edu/~username in a browser. Make sure index.html stays, but have fun adding content and links to it!
- There is lots of helpful information on the web about how to create simple HTML code such as inserting text and links into a web page. Here's a helpful example: HTML For Beginners The Easy Way: Start Learning HTML & CSS Today