Identity Theft! What do I do?

Effective July 1, 1998 it is a felony in Georgia to use someone else's identity to obtain something of value O.C.G.A. 16-9-120 through 16-9-127

1)     The first thing you should do is contact your local police department or sheriff's department to report the theft of your identity.

  • a)     Explain to them how your identity was stolen.
  • b)     Provide them with copies of statements or other documents that you have that support your contention. (i.e. information on bank accounts, last         known information on accounts)

2)     Contact the Federal Trade Commission and the Georgia Office of Consumer Affairs (OCA) report the theft of your identity.

3)     Contact the major credit reporting agencies and have a fraud alert placed on your credit report.

  • a)     Equifax, P. O. Box 740250, Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0250 (800) 525-6285.
  • b)     Experian, P.O. Box 1017, Allen, Texas 75013, (888) 397-3742
  • c)     Trans Union, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, California 92634, 800 680-7289
      • (i) After making telephone contact with the credit reporting agencies follow up with a letter.
          • (1) In letter form explain to each credit-reporting agency that someone has stolen your identity to obtain credit or for whatever reason, i.e.        driver's license etc.
          • (2) Give factual information including copies of statements, other documents and police reports that support your contention.
          • (3) Include in the letter that credit should not be granted unless you or your spouse are contacted for verification.
      • ii) Request a copy of your credit history.

4)     Contact the company(ies) that has provided credit or other intangible or tangible property to the person who stole your identity.

  • a)     In letter form explain you either did not make the charges that are on your statement or that you never requested credit, or you never applied             for the item(s) that were issued using your identity.
  • b)    Give factual information including copies of statements or other documents that support your contention.
  • c)     Include a copy of your police report.