The Center for Adult Learners and Veterans completes enrollment certification procedures for students enrolling under any of the Veterans Affairs educational assistance programs.

As early as possible, and preferably at least one month before entering West Georgia, any student planning to enroll under one of these programs should contact the Veterans Certification Official in the CALV to initiate enrollment certification procedures. Anticipate a 4-6 week delay in the receipt of the first benefit check. Veterans should be prepared to sustain initial university costs since benefits will not begin until several weeks after enrollment.

Veterans and dependents of veterans planning to study using veterans’ benefits at West Georgia should apply for admission as any other student. Eligibility for Veterans Affairs benefits has no direct relationship to the institution. All financial transactions are directly between the student and Veterans Affairs. The institution serves only as a source of certification and information to Veterans Affairs.

Students receiving VA benefits must adhere strictly to a planned program of study as indicated on their school and VA forms.

  • Program changes must be reported promptly to the VA by the School Certifying Official (SCO) in the Center for Adult Learners and Veterans at UWG.
  • All students receiving VA educational benefits are also required to report to the SCO changes in course load, withdrawals, or interruptions in attendance in order to minimize personal liability resulting from overpayment of benefits.
  • Veterans Affairs regulations indicate that students receiving benefits are expected to attend classes regularly. The CALV, therefore, asks faculty members to report prolonged and excessive class absences so that the affected students' enrollment certifications may be terminated.
  • General GI Bill Benefit Information

    Generally, eligible veterans have 36 months of benefits. For active duty service members, these benefits expire 10 years after separation from the service. For members of the reserve components, they expire 15 years after service member becomes eligible (normally upon completing IDAT (initial date active training) of 2 or more weeks).

    Benefits may be used while attending school to earn a degree, diploma, or certificate.

    Most vets can get some college credit for their military training and experience. Although the school is required to review the transcript for prior credit, it does not have to grant any. Any credit granted shortens the time to your degree, allowing you to retain more of the 36 months of benefits.

  • Auditing Courses at UWG

    VA benefits do not pay for classes that are audited.

  • Independent Study Courses at UWG (Graduates & Undergraduates)

    Independent study courses will be measured on the number of credit hours assigned to them by the institution. Students should check with the Veteran Certification Official (VCO) prior to submitting documentation to the Office of the Registrar requesting registration for an independent study course.

  • Internships (Graduates & Undergraduates)

    Anyone interested in registering for a NON-TEACHING internship should speak to the department head and dean of the college in which the course belongs and present complete documentation to the Office of the Registrar as far in advance as possible. If they are offered through the University, they will usually be covered.

  • Summer Semester Schedules

    UWG has multiple summer sessions and classes begin at various times throughout the summer semester. The veteran or dependent cannot receive payment for any full calendar month in which he/she does not enroll in classes. In other words, if your summer schedule ends June 5th, and your fall semester classes begin August 18th or later, you cannot get paid for July or any break between semesters, because the full calendar month of July intervenes between enrollments. It is advantageous for the student to sign up for classes that extend to the end of the summer semester.

  • Withdrawals with a grade of "W" or "WF" and grades of "F"

    The VA will not pay for any courses in which a punitive or non-punitive grade was received. Repayment is based on the withdrawal date or end of term date.

  • Program of Study

    Students receiving VA benefits must adhere strictly to a planned program of study as indicated in their school catalog. You can find your catalog at

  • Physical Education Requirements

    You must consult the catalog under which you entered UWG or your advisor to determine Physical Education requirements since they are not required for all majors. Veterans who served at least two years of ACTIVE DUTY may contact the Registrar’s Office for additional information about Physical Education requirements and/or waivers.


UWG Appreciates and Thanks All Veterans for Their Service!