- Create objective concerning types and numbers of people you want to meet, information you would like to collect, and relevant questions that show you have done your research.
Dress Correctly & Have Proper Hygiene
- Dress like you are attending an interview and ensure proper hygiene.
- Wear your name tag on the right hand side most people focus their eyes on the right side.
- Properly introduce yourself (first and last name).
- Try to remember and use the persons first name when you are speaking to them.
- Shake hands with everyone you meet be firm and be enthusiastic smiling is great.
- Mingle with as many people as possible.
- Give yourself a goal on how much time you spend with each person you meet.
- Create and take business cards to hand out and collect other people’s business cards.
- Make notes on the back of business card with conversations topics to remember the person.
- Ask what is the best way to follow up.
- Keep your business cards separate from the ones you collect.
- Take a break if you need to so you can continue to keep your energy up.
- If you are standing in a group take the initiative and introduce yourself.
Do Not Dress Inappropriately
- Do not wear street clothes or inappropriate clothing be professional.
- Do not smell of excessive amounts of perfume, cologne, or smoke.
Do Not Have Non-Professional Conversations
- Avoid personal conversations focus on professionalism.
- Do not only speak to one person in the room.
- Do not forget to shake hands with the person you are meeting do not crush someone’s hand.
- Avoid slang and foul language
Do Not Abuse the Networking Time
- Do not hang out in the refreshment area the whole time.
- If alcohol is served try to avoid drinking.
- Do not use the networking time to hit on other people.
- Don’t walk around with a handful of different business cards you want to make the other person feel like you are interested in them.
- Do not introduce yourself by first name only.
- Do not wait for people to come and introduce themselves to you.
- Do not talk negatively about people you have met during the event.