For the most up to date information please visit: International Services and Programs.

Student Employment for International Students

  • On Campus Employment

    On-campus employment can provide international students with valuable work experience, spending money, and the opportunity to get a social security number.

    F-1 Students: F-1 students are eligible to begin working on-campus as soon as classes begin. F-1 students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and more than 20 hours per week during breaks.

    J-1 Students: J-1 students must get approval from ISP before beginning work on-campus. In order to get approval, you must first find a job and then make an appointment with a member of the ISP staff. J-1 students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and more than 20 hours per week during breaks with authorization from their J-1 visa sponsor.

  • Finding a Job

    All student employment positions are posted on Handshake. The earlier in the semester that you start looking, the more likely it is that you will be able to find a position.

    International students are not eligible for positions through the Federal Work Study Program.
    If you are an upper level student, you may be able to put your skills to use by working as an assistant in your major department

  • F-1 Employment Regulations

    International students on F-1 or J-1 visas may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week, while school is in session.

    This limit is per week, not per job. If you have two different jobs, the total number of hours you may work is still twenty. This limit is a weekly limit, not an average weekly limit. If you work 30 hours one week and 10 hours the following week for an average of 20 hours per week, you will be in violation of your status. During holidays and the summer you may work more than 20 hours per week. You must be enrolled full-time and otherwise maintaining your F-1 or J-1 status in order to work legally.

  • After You Find A Job & Applying For A Social Security Number

    All International Students that have been offered a job on campus will have to first get a job offer letter from their department. 

    This letter must be on University Letterhead and should contain the following information:

    • Student's Name
    • The department they will be working for and a brief description of what they will be doing
    • The start date (this needs to be an exact date, not just "spring semester") (it is recommended that you make the start date 10-14 days out to allow time for processing the Social Security Number Application)
    • The number of hours per week they will be working (per immigration regulations they cannot work more than 20 hours per week)
    • The contact information of their direct supervisor (name, phone number and email address)

    Once the student has the letter, they are to go to International Services and Programs (ISP) in Row Hall to receive assistance in completing the social security application. ISP will schedule a time with the student to take them to the Social Security Office to apply for their number.

    Please note, once a student applies for their Social Security Number, it generally takes 7-10 days for the student to receive their number.

    Once the student receives their Social Security Number they need to return to ISP and then will be directed to Human Resources (HR) in Aycock Hall to complete their new hire paperwork.

    Once the new hire paperwork is completed with HR the student will receive a Work Authorization Form to return to their supervisor stating that the student can begin work. 

    International Students CANNOT begin work without having a Social Security Number.

    If you are an International Student and already have a Social Security Number you may go straight to HR to complete your new hire paperwork.