Progressive Discipline Process

  1. Verbal Counseling is issued for minor infractions.* 
  2. Written Counseling is issued after previously issuing a Verbal Counseling, or for those infractions of a serious nature.* 

  3. Final Written Counseling is issued if a Written Counseling has been issued within the last 12 months or for a first offense of an extreme serious nature.* 

*Use the Student Employee Disciplinary Action Form (PDF) to document all progressive discipline.

Discharge is recommended for gross misconduct or after all progressive discipline procedures have been followed without significant and/or satisfactory improvement in behavior and/or performance.


  • My manager recently conducted a Written Counseling with me but never gave me a Verbal Counseling. Is he/she allowed to do this?

    That would depend on the offense. If the offense is severe enough, the manager does not have to begin the process with a Verbal Counseling. Your manager has the option of beginning the progressive discipline process at the stage that is appropriate for the offense.

  • I decided not to sign the Written Counseling form that was presented to me by my manager. Will this be held against me now?

    No, the request for your signature is simply to indicate, for the record, that the subject matter contained in the formal counseling has been discussed with you. Your signature does not necessarily indicate your agreement with the record. However, your refusal to sign any counseling form does not nullify the formal discipline action taken by your manager. An employee’s refusal to sign the counseling form is not held negatively against him/her in any future actions. 

  • What can I do if I disagree with the information contained in the Written or Final Warning?

    The best course of action is to tell your side of the story to your manager prior to receiving any warning so that all information and circumstances are taken into consideration. However, it is up to the manager to determine if any type of warning is appropriate after reviewing all relevant information.

  • How do I know when to contact the Student Employment Office with issues that may concern me?

    If there is anything that is unclear or confusing to you relating to policies, procedures, rules, etc., you may contact the Student Employment Office at any time for clarification.

  • As a manager, do I have the right to use progressive discipline in situations involving student employees?

    Yes, student employees should be held to the same behavioral and/or performance requirements as any employee. However, some student employees may only remain with a department for a limited time and disciplinary procedures requiring additional time to allow for improvements should be taken into consideration. For additional information regarding standard procedures as they relate to student employees, contact the Student Employment Office directly.

  • Job Abandonment