America Reads/America Counts (ARAC) is a partnership between Student Employment and surrounding school districts.UWG students are trained to assist pre-k through fifth graders who need extra help learning to read and Kindergarten through ninth graders who need extra help with their math skills. The tutors work off-campus in local schools. You need a minimum of a 2.75 GPA to participate in America Reads/America Counts. 

America Reads has been a part of our Federal Work-Study program since the 1997-1998 academic year.

  • Getting Involved

    ARAC is part of the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program.  To become an ARAC tutor a student must be offered FWS on his or her Financial Aid Award, for incoming freshmen, be a HOPE Scholar recipient, for returning students, have a 2.75 GPA, and reliable transportation to the school where they will be assigned.

  • Applying

    The ARAC Tutor positions are listed as an FWS position along with the other FWS job listings on Handshake. For more information on how to apply you can visit: I’ve been awarded FWS. How do I get a Job? 

    In addition to the regular FWS job application process, each prospective tutor must sign a consent form to allow a criminal background investigation. Student Employment will review the applications and notify the selected applicants.

  • Orientation and School Assignment

    ARAC Tutors are required to attend mandatory tutor orientation and training throughout the course of their employment.  

  • Participating Schools

    Carroll County

    • Carrollton City Schools
    • Carrollton City After School Program
    • Sharp Creek Elementary

     Coweta County

    • Arnco Sargent Elementary
    • Newnan High School
    • Ruth Hill Elementary

     Douglas County

    • Bill Arp Elementary
    • Douglas County High School
    • North Douglas Elementary
    • Stewart Middle School

     Haralson County

    • H.A. Jones Elementary After School Program

    *Student should NOT contact these schools directly.


  • When will I get assigned to a school?

    When you are contacted to schedule an interview.

  • How will I get my tutoring schedule?

    Your schedule will be based on your availability and the needs of the school. The contact person for the school, usually the person you interview with, will determine your schedule. 

  • What should I do if I am sick and cannot make a scheduled tutoring session?

    You should get a contact number in case of emergencies from your teacher on your first day. If you you do not have a contact number you should call the school’s main phone line. Tell the receptionist who you are and why you are calling, and leave a message for the teacher(s) who are expecting you to let them know that you are sick and cannot make it.

  • How will I turn in my hours?

    You will submit your Timesheet to Student Employment after your supervisor has signed it.

    Timesheets received after the due date will not be processed until the next pay period. A late timesheet may cause up to a four week delay in the student’s paycheck.

  • How can I get more tutoring hours?

    Talk with the teachers that you are assisting and let them know the hours that you are available. If that does not work, let the administrator know that you are interested in getting more tutoring time. The administrator will ask other teachers and let you know.

  • What should I do if I am having a problem with a teacher?

    Student Employment suggest that you speak with the your teacher first. If the problem cannot be resolved then go to the administrator.

    Student Employment can also be contacted at 678-839-6431.