How to use Social Media for Networking?
Social media can help you find a job and connect with people who can assist you with growing your career. However, it works both ways. Social media when used the wrong way can backfire and jeopardize a job offer or even your current job. It’s important to be careful and consider what you shouldn’t do, as well as what you should do, when using social media to job search.
There are several social media sites, but here is some of the most popular ones, and how to use them properly.
The golden rule for managing and maintaining your Instagram page is to post things that you would not mind your parents seeing. This is the same for using your Instagram account as a way to network. Here are some tips
- Do not post pictures of yourself partying/drinking/clubbing
- Do not post provacative pictures
- Be consistent with posting
- Post good quality photos
- Lastly be yourself, let your personality show through in your Instagram photos
If you do not want to follow some of these rules, you can always private your Instagram page. This allows you to have privacy, and control who sees what on your page. But for networking purposes having a public page can be very beneficial. Especially if you have a small business or starting to brand yourself.
When using Facebook to Network it is very important to practice discression. Here are some Do's and Dont's when it comes to mangaging your Facebook account
- Be consistent with the quality and quantity of your posts.
- Control your privacy settings
- Engage in coversation, and respond to comments on posts in a timely manner
- Make sure your Facebook information is consistent with your other social media sites
- Complain about the job search
- Write personal status updates about relationships. Instead, focus on industry related issues
- Post pictures that paint you in an unflattering light
- Swear, use all caps, or spam
Twitter ,just like Instagram and Facebook, is a social media site that makes it easy to connect and network with others as well as promoting and building your brand. But sometimes the things you tweet could jeapordize future job opportunities. Here are some tips and suggestions on how to run your Twitter account for networking purposes.
- Share your accomplishments
- Give advice and be helpful to others
- Follow companies or influencers that hold the same interests as you
- Do not follow too many people. It may appear that you are a spam account
- Be consistent in quality and quantity of tweets
- Lastly, keep your tweets short and to the point
P.S. Just like Instagram, Twitter alllows you to set privacy settings to filter who all sees your page.
LinkedIn is a professional social networking site. Here are some tips on how to improve your LinkedIn profile
- Have a fully completed profile
- Join groups
- Update your profile weekly
- Make sure your grammar is up to par
- Add contacts
- Follow professional organiztions that you are interested in
- Use a professional head shot photograph as your avitar