The University Writing Center (UWC)
We're Here for You Every Step of the Way
At the University Writing Center, faculty and student tutors assist with any aspect of the writing process. We welcome students from all disciplines and at any level.
Writing Center InformationHours of Operation and Contact Information
- Monday - Thursday 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Technology Learning Center (TLC) 1201
- (678) 839-6513
- Tuesday and Thursday 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
- The Shell-Coggin Writing Center, Newnan Center, Room 102
- Walk-ins only
- Monday - Friday
- Dropboxes close at 3:00 PM
- Turnaround is 48 hours
- For more information, check out Online Writing Tutoring
Appointments and Closings
To make an appointment, you will need your:
- Student ID (917) number
- Class and Section Number for the assignment (For example, ENGL 1101-11)
- Preferred appointment date and time
Our appointments are 30 minutes in length. You can schedule an hour session if English is not your first language, if you have a documented learning disability, or if you are a graduate student with a longer assignment.
It's best to schedule your session 24-hours before you want to be seen.
If you need to cancel your session, please let us know at least an hour before your appointment begins.
- A printed copy of your paper is preferred. (We do have computers in the back of the Center if you do not have a printed copy.)
- The directions for the assignment from your professor.
- Any notes you have taken while working on the assignment.
- At least one or two questions or concerns about the assignment that can help direct the session.
- When you arrive at the UWC for your session, you will check-in with the person at the front desk. Just provide your name or student ID to check-in.
- If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, you have missed your appointment. A missed appointment will be logged as a No Show.
- You will be shown to your tutor.
- The session will begin with your tutor asking how they can help you with your assignment. Provide them with your paper and any question or concern you have with your writing.
- Be aware: The Writing Center operates as an extension of the classroom environment. The consultants can help with any concern you have with the writing process, but they cannot edit or proofread your paper. During the session, they are teaching you writing techniques (like how to identify and correct errors in your paper) that you can utilize independently of the Writing Center.
- You will generally leave the tutorial with a new direction for your paper. For this reason, it is ideal to schedule a session at least 2 to 4 days before your assignment is due.
The Writing Center will be closed during the vacation schedule constructed by the University. (See the Academic Calendar for all of the University closures.) Also, any University closure (e.g. for weather) will result in the closure of the Writing Center, which will not resume regular operating hours until campus reopens.
Explore Our Writing Resources
Do you need help with your writing? The Writing Center has a collection of resources for you to utilize.Writing ResourcesExplore Our Writing Resources