making a difference: Big or Small
Do you want to change the world? Or maybe just make things better in your own hometown? If you want to take the lead wherever you are and may go, then it’s time to Go West and think about majoring in Political Science
Political Scientists are some of the most versatile graduates in the career world, ranging from attorneys and city managers to lobbyists and not-for-profit directors, from professors to researchers, and from entrepreneurs to members of Congress.
In Political Science, you’ll get the core skills employers are looking for:
- Analysis and research
- Excellent written communication skills
- Presentation and group skills
- Critical thinking
Your career path is limited only by your imagination when you major in Political Science. If you want to find out more about Political Science at the University of West Georgia, you’re in the right place. See our expert mentor faculty, find out more about the courses and options you have when you Go West and Go Poli Sci, check out our extra-curricular organizations, and see your post-graduation options all on this website.
When you’re a Political Science major, you know exactly what we mean when we say, “Go West. It Changes Everything.”
Political Science Degrees
Come Work at the Georgia Legislature!
2023 Georgia Legislative Internship Program
Why be a Georgia Legislative Intern?
You get to play an integral role in the 2023 Georgia Legislative session – interns help write bills, provide constituent services, meet with voters, lobbyists and members, and much more!
- All interns receive up to 12 hours of course credit
- Interns also receive a weekly stipend
Who can apply?
- Juniors and Seniors, of any major
- 3.0 GPA or higher
For more information about applying: https://www.legis.ga.gov/intern-program
Applications due Oct. 3rd, 2022
Send Questions & Applications to Dr. McLean, email@example.comGLIP Student's StoryCome Work at the Georgia Legislature!
Best of 2019
Our program is available in-person as well as fully online.
We're a top-twenty ranked online Bachelor's Degree in Political Science by BestColleges.com.
Future Politicians in the Making
With a Political Science degree from West Georgia, your career options are only as limited as your passion for leadership. A Political Science degree opens up the opportunities within the fields of:
- Politics: You can work for city, county, state, federal, or international governments
- Law: Our students have a 90%+ placement rate in law schools and a majority of them receive scholarship support
- Education: Our faculty have a sterling reputation in research and mentoring students to go on to graduate work.
Political Science degree holders also become bank presidents, business owners and entrepreneurs, non-profit-organization directors, and countless other careers because Political Science is unique in providing the skills employers want.
Degree in Public Administration
“Get into the Public Administration program because it deals with every aspect one may encounter in the public sector arena. If you can get into a job of a policy analyst, that would be a great place to start.”
- Shawnzia Thomas, Public Administration (Graduate)
Murphy Center Distinguished Lecture Series
Fall 2022 Events
- Tuesday, September 13 @ 7:00 PM: "An Evening with Georgia State Supreme Court Justices" in Campus Center Ballroom
- Thursday, September 15 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM: Pre-Law Day (with an alumni lunch panel) in Campus Center Ballroom
- Monday, October 17 @ 6:30 PM: Lecture with GCSU President Cathy Cox in the Murphy Reading Room, Ingram Library
- Monday, November 14 @ 12:30 PM: "Georgia: Battleground/Swing state?" Political & Elections Analysis with Greg Bluestein and Dr. Charles S. Bullock III in the Murphy Reading Room