While there are many valid reasons, six good reasons to "GO West" to the UWG Educational Leadership Program include:
- Full-time faculty who are both scholars and practitioners,
- Relevant and authentic learning experiences,
- High expectations including strong support and faculty engagement for candidate-learning,
- High-quality candidates create a rich exchange of learning and collaboration,
- Convenience: Program can be completed in three or four semesters and only a few face-to-face sessions, and
The University of West Georgia has three programs for K-12 educational leadership, each leading to certification from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission. The newest program is called Tier One Certification. The Tier One Certification is considered entry-level that prepares candidates for P-12 school level positions below the principal and for district level positions that do not supervise principals. All interested candidates currently without leadership certification in Georgia must start with this program as Tier 1 is an initial certification program designed for classroom teachers and candidates in leadership roles who intend to assume leadership positions in the future.
The Tier 1 program leads to a certification that's clear and renewable. This certificate is earned completely online. Candidates must complete a master's degree (or higher degree) and then add the Tier 1 Leadership Certification.
Another leadership program at the University of West Georgia is the Performance-Based Leadership Educational Specialist Degree (Ed.S). A third leadership program is the PL Certificate Only option. These programs are considered advanced and is reserved for candidates in a leadership position.