While there are many valid reasons, six good reasons to "GO West" to the UWG Educational Leadership Program include:
- Full-time faculty who are both scholars and practitioners
- Relevant and authentic learning experiences
- High expectations including strong support and faculty engagement for candidate-learning
- High-quality candidates create a rich exchange of learning and collaboration
- Convenience: Tier 2 can be completed in three or four semesters with only a few face-to-face sessions, Tier 1 is 100% online and can be finished in three semesters
The University of West Georgia has three programs for K-12 educational leadership, each leading to certification from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission. The newest program is called Tier 1 Certification. The Tier 1 Certification is considered entry-level that prepares candidates for P-12 school level positions below the principal and for district level positions that do not supervise principals. All interested candidates currently without leadership certification in Georgia must start with this program. This certificate is earned completely online. Candidates must complete a master's degree (or higher degree) and then add the Tier 1 Leadership Certification.
Another leadership program at the University of West Georgia is the Tier 2 Educational Specialist Degree (Ed.S). A third leadership program is the Tier 2 Certificate Only option. Both programs
are considered advanced and are reserved for candidates in a leadership position and
who possess initial leadership certification. Also, both programs are job embedded
and performance based.