Associate Professor & Director
Dr. Mary Alice Varga is an Associate Professor of Educational Research in the Department of Leadership, Research, and School Improvement in the College of Education. She is also the Director of the School Improvement Doctoral Program. Dr. Varga teaches graduate-level courses on quantitative, qualitative, and mixed research methodology as well as school and classroom assessment. She also serves on doctoral dissertation committees throughout the College of Education. Her primary research focuses on student grief and bereavement. Dr. Varga is a member of the Association for Death Education and Counseling and currently serves on the Board of Directors. She is also a member of the Southern Association for College Student Affairs and serves as an Associate Editor for their College Student Affairs Journal.
Education / Degrees
- B.S., Biology, Shenandoah University, 2005
- M.Ed., College Student Personnel, Western Carolina University, 2008
- Graduate Certificate, Evaluation, Statistics, and Measurement, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2012
- Graduate Certificate, Qualitative Research Methods in Education, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2012
- Ph.D., Educational Psychology and Research, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2013