Federal Financial Aid
Federal aid can include Pell Grant, Direct Student Loans, and Federal Work Study. You will need to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). To have your FAFSA information sent to UWG, you will need to include our school code: 001601. The short video below will help explain the types of aid and completing the FAFSA. The FAFSA is used to determine a student's financial aid eligibility for one aid year and must be renewed each year.
The 2018-2018 FAFSA will become available on October 1! You will be required to use 2016 tax information for this FAFSA. How does that benefit you? Since you've already filed your 2016 taxes, you'll be able to transfer your tax information into your FAFSA directly! You also will not need to update your FAFSA after you file 2017 taxes.
When completing your FAFSA, don't make these 12 common mistakes! 12 Common FAFSA Mistakes
The FAFSA can take 7-10 business days to be processed by the U.S. Department of Education and sent to UWG. The Department of Education may select you for a process called "Verification". If selected, you will be required to provide additional documentation before a financial aid award offer can be made to you. You will be notified via your myUWG email account of any documents needed. You can also check your BanWeb account for outstanding requirements by following these steps:
- Log in your Banweb account
- Select "Student Services and Financial Aid"
- Select "Financial Aid"
- Select "My Eligibility"
- Select "Eligibility Requirements"
Any outstanding documents should be sent to the Financial Aid Office by the priority deadlines listed below:
- Fall semester - July 1
- Spring semester - November 1
- Summer semester - April 1
State Financial Aid
The state of Georgia offers the HOPE & Zell Miller Scholarship to eligible students. To apply for HOPE and Zell Miller, complete either:
- FAFSA - this will apply for HOPE/Zell Miller, along with federal student aid programs (mentioned above). The FAFSA fulfills the application requirement for one aid year (ex.:Fall 2016, Spring 2017, & Summer 2017) and must be renewed each year to continue to receive HOPE/Zell Miller and federal student aid programs.
- GSFAPPS - this will apply for HOPE/Zell Miller ONLY. To receive federal student aid, a FAFSA is required. A GSFAPPS does not need renewing each year.