What is a Military-Connected Student?

A Military-Connected student must:

  1. Be a Veteran, Active Military, Reserve, National Guard, or be a dependent or spouse using VA education benefits.
  2. Have a High School Diploma from an accredited or approved high school as specified in Section of this policy manual, or have satisfactorily completed the GED.

How to Apply as a Military-Connected Student:

Required Documents:

  • Final High School Transcript
  • Official GED scores - if applicable
  • Official Transcript from each college attended - if applicable
  • $40 Application Fee (Non-refundable. Do not mail cash payments)

How to Apply:

  • Visit UWG's Begin West application portal.
  • If you already have an account sign in with your previously registered account, or click Create An Account.
  • When your account is created and you're signed in, click Apply Online in the top right or Start an Application below the Events section.
  • When your application is complete and the $40 fee is submitted, you may submit your required documents (aka supplemental items). 
  • Submit your DD-214 for Veterans and select military affiliation
  • When we receive all of the above, your application will be assessed and you will be notified regarding acceptance status.

What happens after all documents are received by UWG:

After all documents arrive at UWG, your application will be assessed for eligibility for acceptance to the University of West Georgia. Additionally, you may be notified that additional supplemental items are required.


If you are 23 or older, you will receive information regarding the ACCUPLACER. All non-traditional freshman have the opportunity to take the ACCUPLACER prior to admission to UWG for placement purposes. If an applicant opts out of taking the ACCUPLACER, they will be placed in the appropriate supplemental English and/or Math course.

Please visit UWG Academic Testing Services for more information

How to Use Education Benefits (GI Bill and Tuition Assistance):

The Office of the Registrar processes Military Educational Benefits. For a breakdown of the various types of military benefits and how to request usage of benefits at UWG, please visit the Registrar's Military Educational Benefits Information page and the FAQ Page. You may also contact the Registrar's Office at registrar@westga.edu for assistance.

Please note: It is very important that you contact us prior to the start of the semester in order to reduce any delay or issue with benefits. 

Credit for Military Learning

Students who have served in a branch of the military may be eligible to receive college credit for their military training and learning. Students must submit an official military transcript to request their record be evaluated for possible college credit (Military Transcript Request information below).

Military credit is awarded based upon the American Council on Education Guide for Military Credit recommendations. Credits are generally elective credits that may be used in the degree and major program and will be listed with a grade of 'S' on the student's transcript. A maximum of 30 semester hours may be awarded. No credit will be awarded for Basic Training; however, students with 2 or more years of Active Duty Military Service may waive their physical education activity requirement by submitting a copy of their DD-214.

To see credit awarded to other veterans, visits UWG's Transfer Equivalency Tool and select Military as your state.

Request Military Transcripts From:

Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy
Joint Services Transcript

Community College of Air Force Transcript
Community College of Air Force Web Page

Students should send their Official Community College of the Air Force Transcript to:

Registrar's Office
UWG - Parker Hall
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton, GA 30118

For questions concerning the awarding of military credit please contact us at:  transfer@westga.edu