Gender and Sexuality Studies
Want to declare a minor?
Email Dr. Matt Franks, Director of the Gender & Sexuality Studies Minor
Welcome to the minor in Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of West Georgia!
This interdisciplinary minor provides a humanities-based forum for examining gender and sexuality in global cultures. Students in the minor learn about—and challenge their understandings of—topics such as LGBTQ sexual diversity, gender differences across cultures, and how femininity and masculinity have changed over time. Courses in the minor focus on representations of gender and sexuality across the arts, history, media, languages, and social sciences.
The Gender and Sexuality Studies minor requires 15 credit hours from the following:
- One required course: XIDS 2100: Introduction to Gender and Sexuality Studies (3 hours)
- Elective courses: courses approved for minor credit* (12 hours)
- Electives must be approved by the program director, and must be from at least two different disciplines. No more than three elective credits (3 hours) can be at the 2000 level, and at least three elective credits (3 hours) must be at the 4000 level.
- To declare a minor, please submit the declaration form.
- Please contact Dr. Matt Franks if you have any questions: email@example.com.
Click on the links below to visit organizations of interest to the Minor in Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of West Georgia and in the surrounding area.
Currently Offered Courses
The following are currently offered courses that count toward the Gender & Sexuality Studies Minor. Please email Matt Franks, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you think a class should be an approved minor course that is not listed here.
- 50833 CRIM 4231 E01 Women & Criminal Justice
- 50653 PSYC 4140 E01 Psychology of Gender
- 50686 SOCI 3603 E01 Sociology of Gender
- 80447 CRIM 4231 E01 Women & Criminal Justice
- 82521 ENGL 2190 01 Literature by Women
- 83059 ENGL 2190 02 Literature by Women
- 83065 ENGL 4385 02W Special Topics: Queer Literature
- 81497 FREN 3212 E01 Sexuality&Gender/French Cinema
- 83259 HIST 4580 E01 American Foldaways
- 83250 HIST 3500 01 Witchcraft in Africa
- 83144 PHIL 4130 01W Feminist Philosophy
- 82563 PSYC 3110 E01 Human Sexuality
- 82557 PSYC 4140 E01 Psychology of Gender
- 80223 SOCI 3293 01 Sociology of Family
- 81376 SOCI 3603 E01 Sociology of Gender
- 83181 SOCI 3603 E02 Sociology of Gender
- 83184 SOCI 4915 E01 Violence Against Women
The following is a list of courses currently approved for the minor. Not all courses are offered every semester. Many additional variable topics courses also count for the minor, if the course topic is related to gender and sexuality studies. If you feel that a course should be considered for approval, please inform the director of the minor, Dr. Matt Franks, at email@example.com.
- XIDS 2100: Introduction to Gender and Sexuality Studies
- COMM 4485: Communication & Gender
- ENGL 2190: Literature by Women
- ENGL 4185: Studies in Literature by Women
- FREN 3212: Sexuality & Gender in French Cinema
- HIST 4423: Women and Gender in the Ancient World
- HIST 4467: Women in American History to 1890
- HIST 4468: Women in American History Since 1890
- PHIL 4130: Feminist Philosophy
- PSYC 3110: Human Sexuality
- SOCI 3603: Sociology of Gender
Dr. Matt Franks
Director of the Minor in Gender and Sexuality Studies
Assistant Professor of English
Phone: (678) 839-4875