Our aim is to become a top destination for students in the state of Georgia and beyond who are passionate about foreign languages and cultures, and who seek to engage critically with questions of diversity, multiculturalism, and globalization as they manifest themselves in a variety of countries, languages, and cultural artifacts. We endeavor to make contact between and among cultures a daily reality for the general community at the University of West Georgia and to thus enhance multicultural and global awareness and sensitivity.
The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures educates students to become better global citizens through instruction in foreign language, literature, film and culture. Through this study, students gain further knowledge of their own language and culture and are able to make informed cultural comparisons.
Buzzfile - Careers by Major:
http://www.buzzfile.com/Major/Language-Studies External Resource
The University of West Georgia is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
Credit and transfer
Total semester hours required:
Take a placement exam to ensure you are enrolling in the appropriate level class. Many students are able to surpass entry level classes based on previous study of the language. The credit by examination process allows you complete your Core, minor or major requirements quicker and progress toward graduation.
The bottom line - value.
This program may be earned entirely face-to-face. However, depending on the courses chosen, a student may choose to take some partially or fully online courses.
UWG is often ranked as one of the most affordable accredited universities of its kind, regardless of the method of delivery chosen.
- Total tuition costs and fees may vary, depending on the instructional method of the courses in which the student chooses to enroll.
- The more courses a student takes in a single term, the more they will typically save in fees and total cost.
- Face-to-face or partially online courses are charged at the general tuition rate and all mandatory campus fees, based on the student's residency (non-residents are charged at a higher rate).
- Fully or entirely online course tuition rates and fees my vary depending on the program. Students enrolled in exclusively online courses do not pay non-Resident rates.
- Together this means that GA residents pay about the same if they take all face-to-face or partially online courses as they do if they take only fully online courses exclusively; while non-residents save money by taking fully online courses.
- One word of caution: If a student takes a combination of face-to-face and online courses in a single term, he/she will pay both all mandatory campus fees and the higher eTuition rate.
- For cost information, as well as payment deadlines, see the Bursar's Office website
There are a variety of financial assistance options for students, including scholarships and work study programs. Visit the Office of Financial Aid's website for more information.
No faculty members listed
Guidelines for Admittance
Each UWG online degree program has specific requirements that you must meet in order to enroll.
- Complete online application. A one-time application fee of $40 is required.
- Official transcripts from all schools attended. Official transcripts are sent from a regionally or nationally accredited institution.
- Verify specific requirements associated with specific populations identified here: Freshman Adult Learners Transfer International Home School Joint / Dual Enrollment Transient Auditor Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Seeking Readmission
Program Specific Admittance Guidelines
A certificate in European Union Studies can be earned in one of two ways. Under the academic track, a certificate is taken in tandem with an undergraduate degree program. Students from all academic majors are eligible to participate so long as they possess a minimum 2.75 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA). It should be noted that some institutions permit the certificate to substitute for an academic minor. Under the professional track, non-degree students—such as business executives—are eligible to enroll in the program upon proof of a valid undergraduate degree from an accredited institution on the condition that they fulfill the minimum GPA requirement of 2.75
For more information, go to UWG Admission Deadlines
Admission Process Checklist
- Review Admission Requirements for the different programs and guides for specific populations (non-traditional, transfer, transient, home school, joint enrollment students, etc).
- Review important deadlines:
- Fall semester: June 1 (undergrads)
- Spring semester: November 15 (undergrads)
- Summer semester: May 15 (undergrads)
See program specific calendars here
- Complete online application
Undergraduate Admissions Guide
Undergraduate International Application
- Submit $40 non-refundable application fee
- Submit official documents
Request all official transcripts and test scores be sent directly to UWG from all colleges or universities attended. If a transcript is mailed to you, it cannot be treated as official if it has been opened. Save time by requesting transcripts be sent electronically.
Undergraduate & Graduate Applicants should send all official transcripts to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Murphy Building
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton, GA 30118-4160
- Submit a Certificate of Immunization, if required. If you will not ever be traveling to a UWG campus or site, you may apply for an Immunization Exemption. Contact the Immunization Clerk with your request.
- Check the status of your application
Program Administration and Course Registration:
Dr. Robert Kilpatrick
Interim Chair, Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
1601 Maple St.
Carrollton, GA 30118
Phone #: (678) 839-5960
Fax # (678) 839-5931
Specific dates for Admissions (Undergraduate Only), Financial Aid, Fee Payment, Registration, Start/End of Term Dates, Final Exams, etc. are available in THE SCOOP.
Specific Graduate Admissions Deadlines are available via the Graduate School
Objectives not available