International Student Health Insurance
Watch this U.S. Health Care & Insurance Video Overview
International students on F1 & J1 visas are automatically enrolled in the United Health Care (UHC) student health insurance plan each Fall and Spring. Summer coverage is included with Spring coverage. The plan complies with University System of Georgia requirements in contract with UHC to provide coverage.
Alternate Plans & Waivers
Use of an alternate insurance plan must meet certain requirements, which are reviewed by UHC via their waiver request process each semester. Please see waiver information below.
- Fall Semester: August 1 - December 31 (5 months)
- Spring & Summer Semesters: January 1 - July 31 (7 months inclusive)
Please see this USG link for details.
The following information was provided by United Health Care, Nov. 13, 2020:
Q1. Why is my alternate health insurance plan being denied this year. Why?
USG changed health insurance requirements in the ‘20/’21 Academic Year to comply with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). An ACA compliant plan must include coverage for essential benefits with no lifetime or annual caps on coverage, and must adhere to the consumer protections built into the law. ACA compliant plans must be underwritten by a licensed U.S. insurance carrier.
Q2. Why do international students have to enroll in ACA compliant plans?
Many international plans offered in the U.S. don't provide comprehensive coverage for medical conditions or life-threatening accidents or illnesses. In some cases, alternate plans don't provide basic coverage for doctors or specialists. Therefore changes were made to ensure the proper level of coverage for ACA compliance.
Q3. My waiver was rejected. Who can I contact?
Neither UWG nor ISAP is not involved in the waiver process or decisions. To appeal, please contact the University System of Georgia directly at: email@example.com. Be sure to include your name, institution any supporting documentation.
- Fall 2021 Waiver Deadline: September 29th.
- State employees cannot recommend external vendors or services. It's the student's responsibility to research and select a waiver-eligible plan if they would like.
- Outside the US? If you are physically outside the U.S. and enrolled in UWG courses full-time in F1 status under temporary COVID-19 provisions, you are eligible for an insurance waiver. If so, please submit the "Out of Country Waiver Request" form. Email Paul Sargent, firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
United Healthcare Plan (UHC)
The University System of Georgia provides student ACA compliant health insurance coverage though its contract with United Healthcare, Inc.
UHC Health Insurance Rates 2021-2022
- Student Annual (8/1/21 - 7/31/21): $2417
- Spouse (husband or wife) Annual: $2659
- Children Annual: $2659, 1 child. $5318m 2 or more children
- Athletes Only, $90K Sports Rider: $884
- Student Fall Semester Only (8/1/21 - 12/31/21): $1013
- Student Spring Semester ONly (1/1/22 - 7/31/22): $1404
Attention: Failure to pay all tuition and fees, including health insurance, or to obtain an approved waiver by the UWG fee payment deadline will result in all classes being dropped, which can lead to termination of immigration status.
Submit a Claim to UHC for Reimbursement
Mail your claims to:
United Healthcare Student Resources
P.O. Box 809025
Dallas, TX 75380-9025
Customer Service - 1-800-767-0700
- Waiver Deadline Fall 2021: Sept. 29th
- Waiver Deadline Spring 2022: February 6th
Insurance waivers are for 1 semester only and do not renew automatically.
Summer semester is included in the Spring Semester coverage; there is no separate fee or refund for summer semester insurance.
- ISAP is not involved in insurance plan reviews, billing, waiver decisions or appeals. All waivers are hanlded by UHC's internal process.
- Advice: Pay all tuition and fees in full, including UHC insurance, by the payment deadline to ensure no coverage gaps or enrollment drop risks for unpaid balances. If your waiver is approved, you will automatically receive a refund.
- Log on to www.studentcenter.uhcsr.com/westga
- Click 'Waiver Form' at the bottom. Select institution and complete the form.
- UHC receives and confirms waiver request.
- Request is reviewed by UHC.
- You will receive an approval or denial email. If approved, UWG will remove the fee from your student account in 3-4 business days and refund the premium if you already paid it.